I love this comforting classic dish! A rich tomato-y sauce packed with veggies, beans and ground beef.
Chili Mac Spaghetti Squash (Serves: 4)
- 2 large spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp each salt & pepper, dividied
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 14-oz can chili style beans (or plain kidney beans..or any beans!)
*If using chili beans, do NOT drain. If using plain beans, drain them.
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp each; chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup water or beef broth
- Optional: shredded cheese, cilantro, green onion
For the squash
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with tin foil and set aside.
2. I find the best way to slice my squash is to soften it in the microwave first. Pierce the sides of the squash with a fork a few times and place it in the microwave for 5-7 minutes on high. Use oven mitts to remove and set on cutting board. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Using a sharp knife, slice through the squash. Once sliced open, take a large spoon or ice cream scoop and remove all the seeds. Once cleaned, place on baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle each half with 1/2 Tbsp of oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
4. Remove squash from the oven. Using a fork, shred the squash to create the noodles. Remove shredded squash and place in large mixing bowl. Set aside and discard the skin of the squash.
For the sauce
1. In a large frying pan, cook ground beef, onion and green pepper over medium high heat until cook through, about 8-10 minutes. Drain off the fat and return meat mixture back to the pan.
2. Next add in diced tomatoes, beans, sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Cook over medium heat until heated through and bubbling hot. If your sauce looks a bit thick, thin it out with either some water or beef broth.
3. Place cooked and shredded squash into serving bowl. Top with sauce and any additional toppings (cheese, cilantro, green onion) you prefer. Serve hot and enjoy!