Looking for an easy dinner? Looking for a tasty recipe? Looking to use up the ingredients you have on hand? Then this is the recipe for you!
I LOVE this dish - it's bright, flavourful & full of so many delicious ingredients. A twist on a classic pasta recipe, this spring bacon carbonara adds in some fresh tender vegetables with a classic egg-based carbonara sauce. It's easy to prepare & even easier to enjoy! The only thing that takes a *bit* of skill is adding in the eggs properly but don't worry! Follow the steps below for a fool-proof pasta recipe. Enjoy!
Spring Bacon Carbonara (Serves: 6)
- 1 pound your favourite pasta (I used penne) --> Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb asparagus, choppef
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Pepper and red chili flake, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Zest from 1 lemon
1.In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta as per instructions on the box. Once tender, drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add back to the pot and cover to keep warm.
2. While the pasta cooks, cook chopped bacon in large frying pan over medium heat until crisp. Remove cooked bacon from pan with slotted spoon, place on paper towel lined plate and set aside.
3. Remove most of the grease from the frying pan and add in garlic, onions, asparagus and red pepper. Season well with pepper and chili flakes to your liking. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add to the pot with cooked pasta along with the cooked bacon.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and cheese. While the pasta and vegetables are still hot, quickly add in the egg and cheese mixture, stirring quickly to ensure mixture is thickening. Use the pasta water to thin it out if you need.
5. Transfer pasta to large serving dish. Top with lemon zest and extra cheese. Serve hot - yummy!