Mixed Berry & Lemon Muffins (Serves: 12)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- cinnamon, to taste
1. Grease muffin pan or line with baking liners and set aside. Preheat oven to 450.
2. In large mixing bowl, stir flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add in cooled butter and oil, mixing to combine. Add in oil, vanilla, milk, lemon zest and juice. Stir until combined, careful not to over mix.
4. Using a rubber spatula, begin to fold egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix! This results in tough muffins. A good rule of thumb is once there are not visible streaks of flour in your batter, it is mixed thoroughly.
5. Add in berries and mix until just combined.
6. Scoop a small amount of batter into each greased muffin tins. Place 1 tablespoon of jam on top of batter and cover with additional 1/4 cup of batter. Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and add a few extra blueberries on top of each muffin.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Insert a toothpick until it comes out clean.
8. Cool completely on wire rack. Keep covered for up to 1 week. Enjoy!