Trying something a little different this week & sharing some recipes to help you "shop your pantry"!
I know that I'm guilty of not always checking my pantry before heading out on my weekly grocery shop, coming home & kicking myself that I just bought ingredients I always have on hand! It's frustrating & definitely adds some extra $$$ to your grocery bill.
Hence a "shop your pantry" series of recipes! A while ago, I posted a poll on Instagram asking what are some staples you always have in your pantry. From there, I created these tasty recipes to help you save some money without compromising on flavour by creating delicious recipes.
Today's soup features some pantry classics - canned tomatoes, pasta sauce & canned beans. These are always things I have on hand which means I can whip up this soup in no time! It's hearty, healthy & full of flavour. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage Soup (Serves: 8)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 14 oz can tomatoes with their juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 - 28 oz can pasta sauce of your choice (I used roasted garlic!)
- 1 - 19 oz can white kidney beans
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, chopped (if using fresh, use 1 cup)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, brown Italian sausage, onion, carrots and garlic. Drain off fat and add back to pot.
2. Stir in canned tomatoes, chicken broth and pasta sauce. Stir to combine and bring back up to rolling boil.
3. Add in kidney beans and spinach. Stir to combine and add in all seasonings. Taste as you go and adjust to your liking.
4. Let soup simmer for 15 minutes on low. Serve hot or let cool and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy! YUM.