Who doesn't love a warm & comforting pasta dish?! On a gloomy, snowy (!!!!) day like today, this dish is calling my name. Simple, tasty & easy to make, this slow cooker beef stroganoff is the perfect dish for a quick week night meal. Let it simmer low & slow all day long & come home to this guy ready to enjoy!
Traditional stroganoff is made with beef chuck pieces or stewing beef and sour cream. I like this lightened up version with plain Greek yogurt for an added punch of protein (plus it's a great lower carb option) & using ground beef instead mostly because I'm always guaranteed to have some in my freezer.
Fresh mushrooms really are the highlight in this dish (or use canned if you need) & everything comes together to make a rich & savoury sauce that is really one of my favourites. I hope you enjoy this easy crock pot dish!
Simple Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (Serves: 6)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I like using button mushrooms in this recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 can reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1. In your slow cooker, mix together ground beef, onion and mushrooms.
2. Add in garlic, salt & pepper. Add in mushroom soup and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until combined.
3. Next, stir in the beef broth and ensure entire mixture is combined.
4. Cook on low for up to 6 hours or on high for up to 3 hours.
5. Before serving, stir in plain Greek yogurt for an extra richness. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes for all the flavours to combine.
6. Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve over whole wheat penne or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!