This recipe is all kinds of cheesy deliciousness 😍 Tender broccoli and cauliflower come together in a rich & smooth cheese sauce that is oh so bubbly. Topped with crispy bread crumbs (or try ground pretzels for an added twist!), this perfect side dish is the ultimate definition of comfort food! Cannot wait to "gobble" this up this weekend! (see what I did there - haha!). Enjoy this recipe, friends!
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Bake (Serves: 6)
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of each, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs*
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in broccoli and cauliflower and cook until just barely tender (about 8-9 minutes). Then strain and set aside. They will still have time to bake in the oven & no on likes mushy veggies!
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease 8 X 8 baking dish. Set aside.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat, saute onions with olive oil until tender (about 5-7 minutes). Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
4. Next, carefully & slowly pour in the milk a 1/4 cup at a time, ensuring to whisk the whole time until no lumps remain. Continue until all the milk is added.
5. Turn stove down to medium and stir in the mustard and seasonings. Whisk until cheese sauce begins to gently bubble.
6. Stir in both cheeses until fully melted. Whisk until hot & bubbly.
7. Add broccoli and cauliflower to prepared baking dish. Drizzle cheese sauce over top and toss vegetables to ensure they are evenly coated.
8. Top with bread crumbs* and tent a piece of tin foil over top.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes, removing the foil within the last 5 minutes to brown the top. Serve hot & enjoy this cheesy dish! YUM.
* Gently pulsing a few handfuls of pretzels in a food processor instead of using bread crumbs is another tasty way to top this dish! I've also toasted left over cheese bread and chopped it up for the topping - also delish!