These are some of my most favourite muffins! Light, airy, full of flavour but not overly sweet, these lemon blueberry muffins are my go to snack. I love how easy they are too!
Here's a tip for baking healthier muffins is to skip the crumbly strussel topping. I know, it's beyond delicious but to be honest, it's just sugar & butter, which we can all eat a little less of. Instead, I sprinkle cinnamon on top before they head into the oven! It gives these muffins an awesome flavour & a bit of extra crunch!
Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Serves: 12)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- cinnamon, to taste
1. Grease muffin pan or line with baking liners and set aside. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In small mixing bowl, toss blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour. Set aside (this helps them from sinking in the batter!).
3. In large mixing bowl, stir flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
4. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add in cooled butter and oil, mixing to combine. Add in oil, vanilla, milk, lemon zest and juice. Stir until combined, careful not to over mix.
5. Using a rubber spatula, begin to fold egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix! This results in tough muffins. A good rule of thumb is once there are not visible streaks of flour in your batter, it is mixed thoroughly.
6. Add in blueberries and mix until just combined.
7. Scoop into greased muffin tins. Fill tins about 1/2 way full. Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and add a few extra blueberries on top of each muffin.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Insert a toothpick until it comes out clean.
9. Cool completely on wire rack. Keep covered for up to 1 week. Enjoy!