Wondering what to do with all those fresh garden tomatoes?!
I hear you! No word of a lie, I think I picked over 100 cherry tomatoes and at least 15 large tomatoes from my two tiny plants👍
This tomato sauce is so easy but SO GOOD. It's simple, garlicky and perfectly delicious. I added in my favourite Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage to this sauce but it's totally up to you if you want to leave it as is! (But the sausage is yummy, though!) Feel free to play around with the consistency too - I like mine a bit chunky so I don't blend it fully but if you're a smooth sauce lover, blend away!
Simple Tomato Sauce (Serves: 6)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used a mix of cherry tomatoes, romas and beef steak)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
1. In a large pot, add in olive oil, onion and carrots. Saute 5-8 minutes until tender crisp.
2. Add in garlic and chopped tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and basil. Simmer over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down and release their juices.
3. Stir in vegetable broth and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree sauce until your desired consistency*.
5. Return sauce to the stove and over medium low heat, stir in dairy of your choice until sauce is warm.
6. Serve over your favourite noodles or zoodles, top with extra basil or cheese. Enjoy!!!
* I like mine with some chunks of carrots and tomatoes so I don't go blender crazy however if you like it REALLY smooth, go for it! You may need to add in some additional broth or dairy to make it extra creamy and smooth. Brb drooling.