Sharing some seriously delicious lunch recipes with you this week as we get back into the groove of work/school life. There is something so nice about having the summers off (if you're a teacher, you get me!) but also something so nice about getting back into a steady & predictable routine. For me, healthy eating is SO much easier when I have a steady schedule going - my life seems so much more predictable & it becomes easier for me to make healthier eating choices.
This salad will get you right back into the swing of things! It is crispy, perfectly salty & sweet and full of some much goodness. Serve it up on its own or pair it with grilled chicken for a heartier meal, this salad has easily become one of my favourites!
Bacon & Apple Kale Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
For the salad
- 1/2 head of kale, washed and chopped with stems removed
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked
- 1 apple, chopped (whatever variety you have on hand works)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
* I didn't have any dried cranberries on hand but I bet those would also be so tasty here!
1. Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a glass measuring cup. Whisk to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
2. Wash and chop kale. Remove stems as they are not very tasty. Add to large serving bowl and drizzle over half of the dressing. Use tongs to toss and coat the kale*. Set aside.
3. Prepare other salad ingredients by cooking and chopping bacon, chopping the apple and crumbling the cheese. Add to large serving bowl.
4. Top with additional add ins (almonds and seeds). Toss to combine and drizzle over remaining dressing.
5. Serve cold & enjoy immediately! Yum!
* As kale is a tough green, letting it hang out in the dressing will soften it & remove some of the bitterness. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or so before adding in the additional ingredients. It works...trust me!