Wow wow wow 😍 This dish was a dish that I like to call a "hail Mary recipe"! What started at a thought of, "stuffed chicken sounds like a great idea" turned into this beautiful & delish dish!
All you need is a handful of simple ingredients (and some patience!) as this recipe is quick to prep but does take a bit of time in the oven. But fear not! The time is worth it! This dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal but presents so beautifully for a fancier get together or dinner party too. I hope you enjoy this chicken dish as much as I do!
Tuscan Stuffed Chicken Breasts (Serves: 4)
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp each; salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Butterfly each chicken breast by slicing down the middle (almost like you're creating a pocket) so the chicken breast is in one large piece and lays flat. Do not slice all the way through!! Cover with parchment paper and using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently flatten each chicken breast to ensure it is an even thickness throughout. Set aside.
2. In a small frying pan, saute olive oil with spinach, bell pepper, white onion and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender.
3. In a small mixing bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, cooked vegetables, salt, pepper, basil and 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4. Begin by filling each chicken breast with prepared filling. Spread the filling up to the edges of each piece of chicken. Once filled, fold over the chicken breast to sandwich the filling in the middle. Use a few toothpicks to seal up the seam of the breast.
5. In a shallow dish, beat egg and milk. In a separate shallow dish, add in Panko bread crumbs. Begin by dipping chicken breast into milk/egg mixture, shake to allow excess to drip off and place in break crumbs. Press bread crumbs onto the top, bottom and sides of each chicken piece. Once coated, place in single layer in 9 X 13 baking pan. Repeat steps until each chicken breast has been coated.
6. Bake covered at 425 for 50-55 minutes. Insert thermometer to ensure chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and serve with mashed potatoes and your favourite vegetables. Enjoy!