Salad rolls are hands down my go to appetizer, snack, lunch or dinner when I'm in a pinch! They are so dang TASTY & so unbelievably fresh!
I love just using a mix of fresh vegetables to make these salad rolls however many recipes call for a protein (generally chicken or shrimp) or rice noodles to be added. Feel free to add those in if you want to but I think they taste just fine without!
A tip is to add in fresh herbs. It really amps up the flavour & gives a nice, fresh taste with every bite. Try these easy peasy salad rolls today!
Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Peanut Sauce (Serves: 4)
- 1 cup coleslaw mix (cabbage & carrots)
- 1/2 bell pepper. sliced thin
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup herbs (I use a mix of mint, cilantro & green onion)
- 4 rice paper wraps
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 3 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Juice from half a lime
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili flake to taste
1. In a 9-inch pie plate, add warm water. Place rice paper wrap in water, press down and soak for 20 seconds. Remove and place on dry, flat surface.
2. Place 1/4 cup of coleslaw, a few strips of bell pepper and cucumber, a bit of herbs and peanuts onto the edge of the rice paper wrap. Roll it up, fold in the ends and fold tight (follow along the instructions on the back of your rice paper wraps package - there are always really good instructions there!).
3. To make the sauce: add peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and lime juice in a small bowl. With a whisk, mix sauce until smooth. This will take some time as the peanut butter will need to break down (hence the hot water 😊). Add in seasonings to your liking, whisk until smooth and serve it up with your delicious salad rolls. Yum!