Sharing these absolutely perfect rhubarb custard bars today! They are DELISH. Perfectly sweet, incredibly tart & unbelievably decadent.
Thank you to Taste of Home for this recipe! The only substitution I made was using brown sugar instead of white sugar in the custard filling because *someone* (aka me) ran out! Okay - I didn't run out exactly but it was that or not have sugar in my morning tea and let's be honest....that's a necessity! The consistency, texture & taste was still spot on with the sugar switch!
Following along for the recipe or follow the link above to the recipe source from Taste of Home. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
Rhubarb Custard Bars
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
For the filling:
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
For the frosting:d
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
2. For the filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
3. For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!