How could I post rhubarb recipes without sharing a rhubarb crisp?!
It's the best summer dessert you can make, beyond easy & INCREDIBLY delicious!!!
My secret is 2 fold.....adding in lemon juice to the fruit compote & doubling the crumble on top. Trust me, these two changes make a world of difference & add SO. MUCH. FLAVOUR.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. To make the topping, combine flour, oats, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Consistency will resemble wet sand. Set aside.
2. To make the filling, add chopped fruit into a large mixing bowl. Add in lemon juice and lemon zest. Sprinkle sugar over the fruit and stir in the vanilla. Stir to combine all of your ingredients together.
3. Pour fruit mixture into 9 X 9 baking pan. Pour topping mixture over top of fruit mixture using the back of spoon or spatula to evenly spread all over the pan.
4. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Top will be golden brown and fruit bubbly/hot when it's done.
5. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy this classic summer treat!