Sharing another super easy & delicious dessert recipe with you today! As you can see, I clearly am a trifle fan 🤣 Not only is it tasty, it is also an awesome make ahead dessert which makes it perfect for entertaining! I usually make it the day before I am having company over, let it hang out in the fridge over night and voila! It's ready to serve whenever we're ready to enjoy!
This dessert is not too sweet and super refreshing with the addition of the fresh strawberries. If you're feeling fancy, make a few chocolate covered strawberries to add on top (see how in the notes below). Enjoy this sweet treat at your next dinner party 😊
Chocolate Strawberry Trifle
For the cake:
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
For the strawberry layer:
- 2 lbs strawberries, washed & sliced in half
For the cheesecake filling:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
Before you begin, place beaters and mixing bowl in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. This assists you when making your whipped cream.
For the cake*:
1. Bake the chocolate cake according the instructions on the box. Cool completely. Once cooled, cut into even, bite sized pieces. Set aside.
For the strawberries
2. Wash, trim and slice strawberries in half. Set aside.
For the cheesecake filling:
3. Add whipping cream to cold mixing bowl. Begin to beat on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes until soft peaks begin to form. Once whipped, transfer to large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. To the cold mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add in milk and pudding mix and continue to mix until smooth. Stop periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and continue to mix until fully combined.
5. Using a spatula, fold in whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until smooth. Set aside.
6. In a trifle bowl, make a single layer with chocolate cake. Try to make the layers as even as possible!
7. Next, scoop about 1/3 of your cheesecake filling onto the cake layer. Use a spatula or back of a spoon to get a nice even layer.
8. Next, make a layer of strawberries. Start by placing strawberries tip side up around the outside of the trifle bowl (as seen in the picture above). Press down so they are sitting firmly in the cheesecake layer. Fill in the layer by placing strawberries on top of the cheesecake.
9. Repeats steps 6 and 7. Finish off your trifle with the last of the cheesecake filling.
10. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Top with chocolate covered strawberries if you wish* Can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
* I generally make the cake the night before. This allows for time to cool.
** To make the chocolate covered strawberries, wash and dry berries thoroughly. In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt 1 cup of milk chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of coconut or vegetable oil in 30 second increments on high until melted. Stir to ensure mixture is smooth. Dip strawberries one at a time in the chocolate, shaking gently to remove any excess. Place on parchment lined plate to cool. Once all your strawberries have been dipped, place plate in the fridge for about 15 minutes until set.
*** This is a great make ahead dessert! In fact, I think trifle tastes better when it's had time to sit. I will make it the night before an event and it always tastes great!
perfectly sweet summer dessert!