If you're looking for the perfect dessert, look no further! This is it! This yummy Turtles Cheesecake Trifle is SUPER easy to make. Don't be scared by how many steps there are...trust me. It's really simple and tastes SO GOOD. Be sure to check out my notes at the bottom of the page, I give you some great tips to help with this recipe! I hope you enjoy :)
Turtles Cheesecake Trifle
For the cake:
- 1 package prepared chocolate cake mix
For the caramel pecan filling:
- 1-300 ml can dulce de leche
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the cheesecake filling:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
Before you begin, place beaters and mixing bowl in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. This assists you when making your whipped cream.
For the cake*:
1. Bake the chocolate cake according the instructions on the box. Cool completely. Once cooled, cut into even, bite sized pieces. Set aside.
For the caramel pecan filling*:
2. In medium sauce pan, toast pecan pieces over medium heat. Stir frequently until all toasty and roasty (about 5 minutes).
3. Lower the heat to medium low and add in dulce de leche to the pan. Begin to stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. This will allow mixture to thicken.
4. Once thick, place in mixing bowl and set aside to cool. *
For the cheesecake filling:
5. Add whipping cream to cold mixing bowl. Begin to beat on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes until soft peaks begin to form. Once whipped, transfer to large mixing bowl and set aside.
6. To the cold mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add in milk and pudding mix and continue to mix until smooth. Stop periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and continue to mix until fully combined.
7. Using a spatula, fold in whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until smooth. Set aside.
8. In a trifle bowl, make a single layer with chocolate cake. Try to make the layers as even as possible!
9. Next, scoop about 1/3 of your cheesecake filling onto the cake layer. Use a spatula or back of a spoon to get a nice even layer.
10. Make another cake layer. This time, leave a small well in the very center of this layer to add in your caramel pecan filling. To make the well, start by placing chocolate cake pieces around the outer circle of your trifle bowl and begin to work your way in (I made 2 circles in mine and that left enough space for the filling). Add in the caramel pecan filling here.
11. Top with another layer of 1/3 of your cheesecake filling. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until your trifle bowl is full!
12. Top with additional pecan pieces, caramel or chocolate drizzle. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve!
* I generally make the cake and caramel pecan filling the night before. This allows for time to cool. If you do cool caramel pecan filling in the fridge overnight, let it sit on your counter for about 30 minutes prior to use so it's easier to work with.
** This is a great make ahead dessert! In fact, I think trifle tastes better when it's had time to sit. I will make it the night before an event and it always tastes great!