Hi, folks! Who doesn't love fresh homemade bread?! But let's get real...who has the time to sit and wait around and wait for it to bake? Leave your clunky old bread maker in the basement (where it probably is collecting dust!) and try this recipe (modified from Kraft Canada).
This has been one of my go to recipes over the past few years when I'm in a pinch or looking for the perfect pair for some homemade soup or pasta dishes. It's easy, cheesy and downright delightful!
Easy Cheesy Bacon Bread (recipe modified from Kraft Canada)
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp vinegar
-1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
-1/4 cup cooked bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 350. Prepare your load pan by greasing the bottom and sides. Set aside.
2. In a large measuring cup, add milk and vinegar. Let sit so it will curdle. This will take about 10 minutes.
3. In large mixing bowl, add in dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda). Mix to combine.
4. Once milk has curdled (Give it a stir to see if lumps have formed. Once they do, you're ready to go!), add in egg and whisk until smooth. Add in cooled melted butter. It needs to be cooled down or else you'll form scrambled eggs...no thanks!
4. Slowly add the wet to the dry ingredients. Stir until mixture is combined. Do not over mix! It's true what they say...overmixing will cause tough dough! Add in cheese, bacon and chives. Stir until just mixed together.
5. Place mixture in greased loaf pan. Use spatula or backside of your spoon to smooth out the top.
6. Bake uncovered for 45-48 minutes. Insert a tooth pick to ensure it's fully baked.
7. Enjoy this delicious bread!