Sharing a super delicious taco recipe with week for Taco Week!
On my Insta stories last night, I shared a super simple way to add flavour to your dishes when you're shopping on a tight grocery budget....add fresh herbs! So simple but packed full of flavour, fresh herbs do not break the bank (usually about $1-$2 per bunch) and add so much deliciousness to your food.
The perfect example is this chimichurri sauce. If you're unfamiliar with chimichurri, it is an South American herbaceous sauce often served with grilled meat. It is SO tasty and super easy! I always follow Gimme Some Oven's recipe when I make it - so thanks, Allie!
Steak Tacos with Chimichurri
For the tacos:
- 1 lb flank steak (see my marinated recipe below)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Favourite taco toppings (I used coleslaw mix, cilantro and bell peppers)
For the chimichurri (recipe modified from Gimme Some Oven):
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
¼ tsp red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Marinate your steak for at least 1 hour before cooking. Grill to your liking.
2. In food processor, add in all ingredients for chimichurri except for olive oil. Begin to pulse on low until ingredients start to blend. Begin to slowly drizzle in olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
3. Using tortilla as a base, begin adding lettuce or coleslaw mix and topping it with steak and chimichurri. Finish off with extra toppings.
4. Enjoy! Serve hot or cold. Both ways are delicious!
Steak marinade: I used 1/2 cup beef broth, 1/2 soy sauce, 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, ginger and red pepper flake and 1/2 bunch of green onions. Let marinade for at least 1 hour.