So excited to be sharing this recipe with you today! I'm all about quick, easy & delicious recipes and trust me...this one ticks all those boxes!
If I'm ever out for brunch, shakshuka is always one of my go to meals to order. I love the mix of flavours & rich, hearty tomato sauce that makes for the perfect pillow for the eggs. When thinking about sharing some 30 minute meals, this immediately popped into my brain. Not only is a quick meal to make, but it takes minimal ingredients that I bet you already have on hand! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Shakshuka (Serves: 4)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 tsp of each; smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin
- 4 whole eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- feta cheese and parsley, to garnish
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, onion bell pepper, tomatoes and garlic. Saute until tender (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add in diced tomatoes with juices and spices. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
3. Use your spoon to make 4 wells in your tomato sauce. Carefully crack eggs into a small bowl and transfer into each well in the sauce one at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium. Place lid back on your skillet and let eggs cook around 6-7 minutes.
**This is the trickiest part so watch your eggs closely! Whites should be cooked through with a runny yolk. A minute too long and you'll have hard boiled eggs!
4. Once done to your liking, remove from heat source and sprinkle with feta or goat cheese and parsley. Serve immediately on its own or with crusty bread or pita.