Today I'm sharing one of my favourite vegetable-based pasta recipes!
Once the chopping is done (the longest part....), this dish comes together super quickly in under 30 minutes. A bit of advice...chop all your veggies the night before you're wanting to whip up this dish. That will save you at least 20 minutes when you're in a pinch!
I love this vegetable primavera recipe not only because it's packed FULL of different veggies (I like broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini & carrots) but the classic alfredo gets a little face lift without minimizing the flavour. I enjoy this dish with either whole wheat or chick pea pasta (for an extra veggie kick!) and it presents beautifully to serve for a quick weeknight meal or to even serve at a dinner party. Delish!
Vegetable Primavera (Serves: 8)
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (I love using penne)
For the sauce:
- 1-2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
1. Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large frying pan and add garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, boil water for pasta and cook as per directions on the box. Drain, place in large bowl and cover to keep warm.
4. Starting with carrots and broccoli, add to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Next, add in onions, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. Saute for 5-8 minutes until fork tender.
***I don't like my veggies mushy, so cooking them a little under fork tender works best for me - especially if you are looking for leftovers!
6. Once vegetables are cooked, place in large bowl with pasta and set aside.
7. Wipe out the frying pan used to saute the vegetables with paper towel. Over medium high heat, add in cream cheese and begin to whisk until slightly melted and no lumps remain.
8. Add in milk, cheese and garlic. Continue to whisk until mixture begins to thicken and bubble, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
9. Stir in basil until fragrant.
10. Add sauce to large bowl with pasta and vegetables. Stir to combine. Top with extra basil or extra cheese.
11. Serve warm and enjoy!
**Consulted Kraft Canada and Pioneer Woman recipes to create this dish