I'm seriously in LOVE with this salad! If you're looking for a healthy & hearty lunch or dinner idea, look no further!
The best part about the salad is that all of the components can be prepped ahead of time. I usually cook my protein, chop my veggies and make the dressing on the weekend so I can throw this salad together in a pinch during the week!
This salad is also SO versatile...chicken, steak, ground beef (or taco beef...yum!) even salmon would be delicious. Add in whatever veggies you've got on hand and whip up the 5 minute dressing for added flavour. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Southwest Salad (makes 4 large salads)
- 1 lb of your choice protein (chicken, steak, beef or salmon)
- 1 container spinach/lettuce mix
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 large chipotle roasted sweet potato *
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 serving of Cilantro Lime Dressing **
1. Cook your protein to your liking. (Some ideas...BBQed chicken, taco seasoned ground beef, BBQed steak, roasted salmon).
2. Chop and wash all of your vegetables. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, place washed spinach/lettuce mix.
4. Top with vegetables and protein.
5. Drizzle with dressing and serve cold.
*Chipotle roasted sweet potato: Peel and dice one large sweet potato. Place on lined baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon of each seasoning; garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes. Roast for 20 minutes at 350 or until fork tender. Add to salad once cooled.
**Cilantro Lime Dressing (modified from Gimme Delicious): In your food processor, blend together the following ingredients:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, stems removed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, to thin as needed
Begin to blend and use olive oil to thin out your dressing to desired consistency. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.