Cheese....bacon....green onion...more cheese....soft, ooey gooey mashed potatoes.....these are a few of my favourite things!
This mashed potato bake is perfect to serve at any gathering/dinner party because it can be made ahead of time and saves you scrubbing pots and pans when you're guests are over! I usually make it the day before and pop it in the oven about an hour before my guests arrive. It's really simple and tastes heavenly...a definite treat for sure!
Cheesy Mashed Potato Bake
1-5 pound bag red potatoes; washed, peeled and chopped
5 strips of bacon
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or favourite cheese blend); divided
5 tablespoons butter
1/4-1/2 cup of milk
1/2-3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup green onion
Garlic, salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook washed, peeled and chopped potatoes until fork tender (about 20 - 25 minutes)
2. While potatoes boil, cook bacon. Once cooked, break into bite sized pieces.
3. Drain potatoes and transfer back into pot. Add in butter and begin to mash. Slowly add in milk and sour cream, mashing until no lumps or bumps remain.***
4. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese.
5. Season to your liking (I use about 1 teaspoon of each).
6. Place in casserole dish. (save bacon and green onions to garnish)
7. If you're choosing to wait & bake, cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge until ready to bake.
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Top potatoes with 1 cup shredded cheese in casserole dish.
3. Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes. Insert a fork to ensure center is heated through.
4. With about 5 minutes left of baking time, add bacon to the top to warm it.
5. Take out of the oven and top with green onions, Serve hot and enjoy!
***Watch your liquid amounts here. Add in a bit at a time until you reach your desired consistency.