Happy Tuesday and day 2 of my favourite soup recipes!
Broccoli cheddar soup is hands down one of my faves. So rich, so creamy but so full of calories! Part of the reason I love making my own recipes is to lighten them up a bit. While I'm not someone who counts calories or carbs, I still like to be aware of what I eat and try to make the healthiest choice whenever I can.
This soup ticks all the boxes as before...rich, creamy but with an easy substitute of cauliflower instead of classic potatoes, this soup brings all the comforting taste and flavours without the guilt. YES. PLEASE.
Once again, this soup has limited ingredients and comes together quite quickly. Let me know if you try it! :)
Healthier Broccoli Cheese Soup (Serves: 8)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp each; salt and pepepr
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 - 14 oz can coconut milk (Can also sub dairy of your choice)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and add carrots and onion. Saute 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
2. Stir in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Stir in broccoli and cauliflower and cook 7-8 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
3. Lower heat to low and pour in coconut milk. Stir to combine and bring up to simmer. Stir in both cheeses and whisk to fully combine your soup.
4. Once the vegetables are tender, remove soup from heat. Leave it chunky if that's your jam or insert immersion blender to get a nice, velvety texture. Enjoy hot with warm bread for a wonderful lunch!